The Governing Body of the Academy is responsible for the admission of all pupils.
Pupils will be admitted into the Academy without reference to ability or aptitude. There will be 270 places available in Years 7-11. If the number of applications does not exceed the number of places available, all applicants will be granted a place at the Academy where FAP does not apply.
The admission number for Sixth Form students is 350.
Joining Queen Katharine Academy
Selecting the right school for your child is one of the most crucial decisions you will ever have to make. The right decision will be profoundly rewarding for your child’s future.
Here at Queen Katharine Academy we support you in ensuring that your child feels secure, happy and confident in making the move to secondary school. We have a year group system where students will have a Tutor, who will stay with them right through their secondary career. The relationship that is built is vital as it allows the Tutor to get to know the student and establishes continuity of care. Each year group has a Progress Leader and a Student Support Officer who oversee all students in the year group and monitor and track progress, attitude to learning and attendance.
Some of the opportunities we provide to enable them to be successful throughout their transition are:
- In Preparation Day – for Year 5 students in July get to experience what life is like at QKA
- Open Evening – for Year 5 and 6 students and parents to have a look around the academy and meet our excellent team of teachers
- Parents Evening – in March where parents/carers of Year 6 students can receive and fill in Admission Forms, meet our excellent team of teachers, receive further information and ask any further questions
- Our Transition Team who meet with students and teachers in their primary schools
- Progress Leader Year 7
- Student Support Officer Year 7
- Special Education Needs Co-Ordinator/Child Protection Leads
- In Rehearsal Day – for Year 6 students in July when they visit us, tour the academy, sample lessons and meet their tutors and others in their tutor group
- Some identified students may be invited to attend extra visits in the Summer Term – we will be in touch with you if this affects your child
- In Performance Day – the first day in September where new students have team building workshops to support them in making new friends, meet many of their teachers and feel confident in the building
- In Touch, our online communication tool where letters and other important information is sent home – please ensure you provide an email address on your Application Form to access this and update us with any changes of personal information
- A tutor evening in the Autumn Term to see how your child is settling in with a meeting with their tutor
A parents evening in the Summer Term to meet your child’s teachers and be able to discuss progress, attitude to learning and a general view about their achievement
Key Dates 2019
Year 6 Parents Evening – Thursday 21st March 4:15pm arrival for a 4:30pm Presentation. Evening will run until 5:30pm.
Visits to primary schools – Monday 20th May to Friday 14th June
Year 6 In Rehearsal Days – Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th July
Year 7 In Performance Day – Wednesday 4th September
The OfferPack can be obtained below.