Thank you for your interest in considering our school for your child’s secondary experience.
Please view the information we have provided to help you make this important decision. We will liaise with our local primary schools, to support the transition of your child and have events during the summer term to help prepare them for secondary school life.
If your child requires an alternative approach for their education and would benefit from a tour around the school due to special educational needs or medical requirements, please contact us on email@example.com.
Year 7 September 2023 - Accepting places from 1st March 2023
Please note, to accept your child’s place at QKA can you email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01733 383874 and accept as soon as possible, if you have already accepted you do not have to respond again.
You will then be sent our admission form to complete online .
We then can also keep you informed and send you updates on QKA Year 7 Transition in preparation for their start in September.
Joining Queen Katharine Academy
Selecting the right school for your child is one of the most crucial decisions you will ever have to make. The right decision will be profoundly rewarding for your child’s future.
Here at Queen Katharine Academy we support you in ensuring that your child feels secure, happy and confident in making the move to secondary school. We have a year group system where students will have a Tutor, who will stay with them through their secondary career. The Tutor is your main point of contact at the Academy and the relationship that is built is vital as it allows the Tutor to really know your child and family, and establishes continuity of care. Each year group has a Progress Leader and a Student Support Officer who oversee all students in the year group to monitor and track their progress, attitude to learning and attendance.
Some of the opportunities and support we provide to enable them to be successful throughout their transition are:
- Open Evening – for Year 5 and 6 students and parents to have a look around the academy and meet our excellent team of students and teachers
- In Partnership Parents Evening – in May where parents/carers of Year 6 students can virtually meet key staff members, find out about upcoming events, next steps, and answers to pre-submitted questions
- Our Transition Team who meet virtually with students and teachers in their primary schools
- Progress Leader Year 7
- Student Support Officer Year 7
- Special Education Needs Co-Ordinator/Child Protection Leads
- Transition Day – for Year 6 students in July
- Some identified students may be invited to attend extra visits in the Summer Term – we will be in touch with you if this affects your child
- First Day – the first day in September where new students have team building workshops to support them in making new friends, meet many of their teachers and feel confident in the Academy
- SIMS In Touch – our online communication tool where letters and other important information are sent home. Please ensure you provide an email address on your Application Form to access this and update us with any changes of personal information
- A tutor evening in the Autumn Term where you meet your child’s tutor and discuss how they are settling in
- A parents evening in the Summer Term to meet your child’s teachers and be able to discuss progress, attitude to learning and their achievement
Starting Secondary School Year 7
From September 2022 all parents will be able to apply online for their Secondary School places for September 2023. The first round applications close on 31 October 2022.
If you miss this deadline, you will need to apply for a secondary school place as soon as possible.
All parents can visit the Local authority website www.peterborough.gov.uk/admissions
Where they will be able to:-
- access the Secondary Admissions Booklet 2023
- find advice on which schools require a SIF and availability to download them
- access the Parent Portal page where they will be able to log in or create an account if they have not used the system before to apply for their child’s school place